Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Foutains of Rome


Rome is known for its beautiful fountains, and in the summer they become particularly valuable. Some have become the stuff of legends, such as the Trevi fountain, pictured here in a less dramatic state than its infamous appearances in films. It's nice to remember that even the ancient wonders of Rome need a little upkeep. The Trevi fountain and the three main fountains in Piazza Nuvona are sites of constant tourist involvement. At night, lit up, they are rather charming, but I also enjoy the more forgotten pieces of the city. While Fontana delle Tartarughe is not carved by the famous Bernini, nor does it have the same quality, it's a nice little piece. The original fountain only included the dolphins and the youths and a later sculptor added the turtles. It's a clever addition and gives a sense of kindheartedness to the piece.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos, for having the most animal devoted blog entries I have ever seen. I wasn't sure how you were going to do it for this post but I see that you snuck in turtles and dolphins at the end. Keep up the good work. With more of these posts, I might have to consider conducting a rhetorical analysis of your blog for my animal work.

    Mission of the week: Try to find an instance of a personified animal in Rome, or the surrounding areas, either culturally, politically, or socially. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure that Perugia is exactly the surrounding area, but I think I have met your challenge.

    ReplyDelete